Abnd what if I succeed?

My goal is to be the very best parent I can be.


I want to show my children a healthy marriage so they don’t grow up emotionally scarred or hostile to the very idea of marriage.


I want to impart to them a strong sense of identity and their worth as human beings so they don’t crave meaning in gangs, drugs, cults, or the body of a lover.


I want to give them all the principles of wisdom I have learned and also teach them to solve novel problems on their own.


I want to prepare them for the world around them, teaching them social, intellectual, financial, and relational skills that will make the world their playplace rather than their battlefield.


I want to be such a quality companion that they want to live near me with their own families because they wouldn’t want their grandkids to grow up apart from me.


I want to give them everything a father can possibly give them. And I hope if I have done this that they will recognize it, thinking highly of me, feel grateful, and perhaps even have thoughts like, “I hope I can live up to being half the man my father was.”


In other words, my goal as a parent is to be the very best idol I can be….so good that they never have any of the problems which would make God necessary in their lives and drive them to their knees in prayer.


Am I earnestly leading my children to their true Father, or am I satisfied pretending to be His replacement?

No comments: